Search This Blog

Thursday, December 4, 2014

A Touch of Frost "Teaser"

"Teaser"

A Touch of Frost

****

Prologue


It was the first spring of my sixth birthday and mamma had brought me out to my aunt Ester’s garden to roam through the newly sprouted buds.
Happily, I skipped through the long winding paths.
I longed to take off my special gloves to touch the new green leaves, but even at this age I knew better.
Any plant would instantly freeze and die at my touch.
It made me sad as a child but mamma always told me it was gift that in time I would learn to control and love.
No one ever warned me of the trouble it would get me into over the next few years of my life.
Skipping along with my long braids of blonde hair tapping my back I reached the edge of the garden where to my surprise was one single flower already in full bloom.
It was a sight to my young eyes.
The blue center called to me as my fingers ached to touch the lighter blue petals.
Leaning in I closed my eyes as the sweet perfume overtook my senses.
And before my young mind could grasp what was happening I had already taken off my gloves and touched the petals.
But instead of that flower shriveling and dying it grew.
From the center a bright light shone as a song unfamiliar to me softly floated by my little ears.
It called me to walk forward, which I did.
For a moment I hesitated thinking what trouble this would get me into with mamma, but the soft welcoming voice pulled me in.
With a bright flash I was transported to a whole new world, one with vibrant colors.
My young eyes took as much of it in as I could saving every detail for later.
Touching the long green grass around me I laugh as it covers in a thin layer of frost but doesn't wither and die like normal plants do.
This world felt like home to me.
I don’t know how I knew that at just six years of age but I felt it in my heart.
“Who are you, little one?” A man suddenly asks as he appears before me.
I take him in, his soft blue eyes and his long golden blonde hair like mine.
He kneels before me holding out his hand.
My little hand, shakes in fear as I go to place it in his. “My mamma calls me Snow.”
The man searches the surrounding area and that’s when I notice his pointed ears before he turns his attention back to me. “Where is your mamma, little one?”
I look around and shrug. “I don’t know.”
Abruptly I’m pulled back and the scene before me fades until I’m back in my aunt’s garden in my mamma’s arms staring up at the dark clouds in the spring sky.
“God’s I hope he didn't find her.” Mamma pleads softly.
“You need to take her far away and hide, Nancy. You need to make sure she never remembers this place.” My aunt states as he hand cups my chubby little cheek.
I smile at her as the world around me fades to black and all my memories of the man in the field fade into nothing.

****

Thanks for Reading.
Raven K. Asher

No comments:

Post a Comment