Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Ten things I enjoy in the spring

Ten things I enjoy in the spring


It’s that time of year again when it’s bitter cold outside and I’m stuck inside wishing to be outside and not wrapped in ten different layers of clothing.

I can’t complain too much November and December were well above the normal temperature ranges. I did get spoiled by the sixty degree weather.

Out of all the years I’ve lived in Northeastern Ohio this has been the easiest winter that I can remember. Last year was the worst winter, with the temperatures dropping well below zero and then into the negatives.

I think at one point it had gotten down to negative twenty and the wind-chill made it even worse. It was the fun day that one of my momma goats decided to bring her lovely babies into the world. She has the worst timing, I swear.

Anyway now that I’m way off topic here’s my list of things I can’t wait for. Spring can’t come soon enough for this girl.

One, I can’t wait for green grass again and green leaves on the trees. I hate the grass when it gets brown and the trees look so dull. I love vibrant colors and the life spring brings back to the area.

Two, I can’t wait for the warmer days. I love the days were you only need a tee shirt and the warms rays of sunshine warming your skin. Those are the days I live for. I’ve never been a cold weather person.

Three, Birds. I love it when the birds fly back from the south. I could sit outside and listen to them chirp and sings all day long. We do have a good bit of birdies that stay here for the cold months but they come and go so quickly I never get the chance to just stop and listen to them.

Four, I get to hatch baby chicks. Every spring I get my incubator out to hatch some new chicks for the year. I love it when they begin hatching. They’re so tiny when they first hatch. It’s one of the joys of being a hobby farmer and my children get to see the miracle of life first hand.

Five, I love all the little babies. From baby chicks to bunnies and little baby goats I love them all. I’m fortunate enough to live in an area where I get to see wild fawns, bunnies, foxes, and even turkey running freely with their babies on a daily basis.

Six, I can’t get enough of the smell of freshly cut grass. My hubby doesn’t like mowing the grass so I do it. I love cutting the grass so it’s a win-win for me. I get time away from my normal chores to be under the sun.

Seven, I enjoy the nights where all you need is a comfy hoodie. Standing by a small fire with your significant other is a plus on those nights too. But after a hard day’s work with my animals it’s a good way to end the day and have a few laughs with friends and family.

Eight, the longer days are what I live for. I can’t take these short days where it gets dark at five in the afternoon. Give me early sunrises and late sunsets.

Nine, I say bring on the spring showers and fresh breezes. While I don’t always like the rain here it’s a blessing to cool down the hotter days. It just stinks when it makes a ton of mud for me to walk through to get to my animals. I do like the fresh breeze it allows to float through my house when I open all of my windows. There’s nothing like the smell of fresh clean air.

Ten, last but not least I love the time that I can spend outside on my swing with my laptop to write. There’s something freeing about it. Maybe it’s the sun warming the keys or the fact that I’m no longer trapped in a dark corner to write but I do my best work outside.

Well, there you have it my ten things I can’t wait for. Now that I’m feeling the winter blues I’m really itching for spring and summer to come.

I’ll have to make do with my warm blankets and some hot cocoa.

****

Have a great week and stay warm.

Raven K. Asher