Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Alone "Preview"

 
"Alone"
**Coming Soon**
 
So, I was able to get a good portion of this book written down this weekend and I'm excited to give everyone a little taste of what's to come, today.
I'm still thinking whether or not I want to turn this into a series, and I probably won't know until I move closer to the end of this book.
My plan was to just make it a single tale about two characters that meet in a post apocalyptic world, but as I've been moving on I've been diving deeper into the story and I'm just not sure if one book will cut it to tell the whole story between the two main characters.
Below is a rough description which I  still have a lot more to add to and a little teaser from what I've already written. Enjoy : )
 
****
 
Description:
(It's a rough description so far, so please don't judge)
 
River has been alone for the last three years living in an elaborate bunker that her father had built in case of the very emergency that had happened in the beginning.
Three years ago there was an outbreak, people were infected and most died, but a small few turned into rabid creatures that would kill anything that crossed their paths.
As River survives on her own she ends up forced out of her shelter to find food but what she ends up finding is trouble, and a little luck.
Gale just so happened to be running from his own troubles with his brother and two sisters when out of the blue a girl runs into his path.
With a little luck they help each other out and end up becoming quick allies, but when Gales past comes around to bite him, will he throw everything away?
What happens when the trouble he and the other were running from catches up to them?
And will River get caught in the crossfire?
 
****
 
This scene below is from the very start of the book and right before I introduce in the other main character Gale. This part is told from River's point of view.
 
****
Sitting on the edge of the woods I watch as a horde of infected roam past, towards the small town nearby.
Holding my breath I wait patiently and nervously as they pass.
All it would take is one noise, one smell, one little mistake and I would have them rushing after me in an instant.
It had taken me awhile to learn everything I knew now about the infected walking around.
Three very long years had passed.
Standing to my feet a twig snaps and I inwardly curse as I stand as still as possible hoping and praying that the infected would just keep on walking.
Luck wasn’t on my side.
Cursing again I grab my backpack from the ground along with my homemade bow.
I had to get out of there now.
Looking up I watch as one after another the infected turn to sniff the air in my direction before beginning their mad rush to get me.
I curse my luck as I turn to run.
This wasn’t at all what I wanted to be doing.
The only reason I had left the underground bunker in the woods was for food and water.
I couldn’t go back without anything, considering I had nothing left.
My food supplies had run out, my water wasn’t any good, especially after I found an infected doing the equivalent of swimming around in the pond where I collected my water.
I hadn’t even wanted to touch that water after that for fear of catching whatever had killed so many others.
My hair snags on a low branch and I curse as my head is jerked back before the branch snaps as I right myself and tug against it tearing hair out of my scalp.
It was a small price to pay in order to get away.
But I should have pulled my long brown hair back into a braid like I normally did. I don’t know why I choose today to wear it hanging down loose.
That was my first mistake of the day.
Second was the infected gaining on me.
This day couldn’t possibly get worse.
As my hair snags yet again I turn back towards the edge of the woods, towards the open field that was between the trees and the small farm house that I had planned on raiding for supplies.
I figured I could at least barricade myself inside until I came up with a plan to ditch these infected or at least until they found something more interesting to go after.
Running full force my legs ache as I beg them to go farther. The house wasn’t far off now.
Reaching the road I rush across it with the infected only feet behind me.
Tires squeal behind me as I hear the crunch of bones.
I don’t stop.
The living was sometimes worse than the infected could be and I didn’t want anything to do with someone that could be so easily killed.
I had lost enough in my life.
At least luck was on my side and a few of the infected had been taken out and some had been redirected towards whoever had been in the vehicle.
As gunshots ring out I turn back towards the trees. The last thing I wanted to do was lead these potentially dangerous people into a place I knew little about.
The woods were where I was comfortable. It was familiar and I knew how to use it to hide. Of course I wouldn’t be able to hide with these infected on my trail.
           I had to lose them, and fast.
 
****
 
As Always, Thanks for Reading
 
Raven K. Asher
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment